Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Family Gathering

Since there's a one week school holiday this week, my sister E and I decided to have a BBQ gathering at my bro J's house. My parents will be there after lunch to play MJ with SIL L and Sister C. SIL D will also be there earlier with nephew S and niece C so the kids can swim before the barbeque starts.

I decided to fix up some food for them and these are what I've prepared.

Chick Peas
Remember "kachiang puteh"? This used to be a must have for movie-goers then, I miss those good-old-days.



九层糕
Does this look like agar agar/jelly? Well, it's not. It's the Nyonya 9 layer kueh.


I made this once and I told myself I need to use a smaller casserole but I forgot and used the same size again. I managed to get 9 layers but I don't have the height.


I was also told not to keep this in the fridge as it will alter the texture of this kueh. I decided to do an experiment. I cut out a small piece of kueh and kept it in the fridge for 2 days. Instead of just thawing it to room temperature, I re-steam the kueh for 5 mins and leave it to cool. The texture is as good as the day I made this.

Recipe from Fenying

Ingredients
(A)
210g sugar (I use 150g)
150g water
6 pcs pandan leaves

(B)
50g rice flour
180g tapioca flour
480g coconut milk
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp Vanilla oil


Method

  1. Put Ingredients B into a mixing bowl and mix well.
  2. Mix Ingredients A and bring to boil. Pour into Ingredients B and mix well, strain.
  3. Divide batter into 2 equal parts. Add red coloring in 1 part.Leave 1 part white.
  4. Heat up a 16 - 18 cm steaming tray, pour 100g of whitemixture into the steaming tray and steam for 5 mins.
  5. Pour 100g of red mixture on top of the white layer andsteam for 5 mins.
  6. Repeat until the last layer, steam for 10 mins.
  7. Remove, leave to cool completely before cutting into pieces.


Own Notes:
I steamed each layer for 2 - 3 mins before pouring in the next layer


Mango Chiffon Cake


I don't have a chiffon cake pan so I used my regular 8" round cake pan to bake this. It cracked very badly while in the oven.



There seems to be a white line near the base of the cake but there isn't any actually.



Ingredients

(A)
5 egg yolks
30g castor sugar (sugar already reduced to suit my family)
110 g cake Flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
50 ml milk
80 gm mango puree
50ml corn oil

(B)
5 egg whites
30g castor sugar
1/2 tsp cream of tartar


Method

  1. In a bowl, using hand whisk, whisk egg yolks and sugar till sugar dissolves.
  2. Add in milk and mango puree to mix well. Mix in the corn oil to mix.
  3. Fold in sieved flour and baking powder. Set aside.
  4. In another bowl, using an electric mixer, beat egg whites till the whites are frothy. Add in Cream of Tartar and beat till soft peaks.
  5. Add in sugar gradually (in 3 separate additions) and beat till stiff peaks.
  6. Fold in 1/3 of the whites into the yolk mixture using a rubber spatula till incorporated.
  7. Pour the mixture to the remaining egg whites and fold in gently till incorporated.
  8. Pour the batter into a 21cm chiffon tube pan. Bang the pan on the table to get rid of bubbles.
  9. Bake in preheated oven of 170C for 50-60 mins or till done.
  10. Remove pan from oven, invert pan to cool well before removing.

Own Notes using Tecno TEO 3400 oven:
1. Cover the pan loosely with a piece of oiled aluminium foil. Bake at 170C for 15 mins.
2. Reduce heat to 160C and continue to bake for another 15 mins.
3. Remove aluminium foil and check for doneness. Reduce heat to 150C and bake for another 10 - 15 mins to brown the surface.



No comments: