Thursday, September 10, 2009

Multicolour Agar Agar

DH prefers agar agar over konnyaku jelly so I made him this.

The intention was to make a 7 - 8 layer agar agar but I decided to take a short cut and made 4 layers instead as I do not want to spend too much time on this.


I should have added a milk layer to have a better contrast in colour. Also, I thought the batik agar agar I made earlier was slightly too sweet so I reduced the sugar by another 20g today and the sweetness is just right.

Rainbow Agar Agar
Ingredients

1 packet (12g) agar agar powder
1000ml water
180g caster sugar
Some colourings (I used only 3 colours and left 1 layer plain)

Method

  1. Dissolve one packet of agar agar powder in 1 litre of water. Add 180g of sugar, stir and bring to boil over low heat.
  2. Measure out 250ml of transparent agar agar and add desired colourings. Keep the balance mixture warm by keeping it under low fire. Pour the first layer into a cake pan/container and leave it to harden slightly.
  3. Add the 2nd layer of coloured agar agar and leave to harden slightly. Do the same for the 3rd and 4th layer.
  4. Leave to cool before putting into the fridge to set.

1 comment:

DG said...

Nice colour combination agar-agar.