Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Papaya Tong Shui Encore

I cooked papaya soup again but added dried figs and chinese almonds.  I prefer this version as I love chinese almonds but DH grimaced at the taste of it.  On the other hand, my kids love to chew on the chinese almonds.  It is so difficult to please all.

**Papaya with compliments from Aunty A **

Papaya Tong Shui
Ingredients
2 litres water
1 medium size half ripe papaya/paw paw (木瓜)
25g white fungus (白木耳)
10 dried figs (无花果)
20 - 25 red dates (红枣)
1 - 2 tbsp apricot kernels/chinese almonds ((南北杏)
rock sugar to taste

Method
  1. Wash and soak white fungus till soft. Remove the stalk and separate into petals.
  2. Cook white fungus, red dates, chinese almonds and dried figs, bring to boil and simmer for 30 mins.
  3. In the mean time, remove papaya skin and remove the seeds. Cut into small cubes/bite sizes.
  4. Bring the soup to boil again.  Add the papaya and rock sugar, cook until rock sugar dissolve.  Turn off the stove and let it sit for 10 mins (covered) before serving.

3 comments:

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

I like to have this in cold, so refreshing especially in hot weather here.

Kitchen Corner said...

This looks like a healthy kind of Tong Shui. Good for lady :P

Blessed Homemaker said...

Sonia, I like it cold too :)

Grace, I cooked this mainly for my girls, want them to have big boobs next time :P