Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Zucchini Soup

Some weeks ago, I made creamy zucchini soup to go along with roast chicken.  The 2 elder ones didn't like it on it's own but when eaten with toast, it was alright for them.  Despite using only 2 zucchinis instead of the recommended 4pcs, DD1 commented it was still too thick .  I may add more stock next time to dilute the soup.

Zucchini Soup
Ingredients
(serves 4)
1 tablespoon oil
1 onion, coarsely chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
2 large zucchini, chopped
2 large potatoes, peeled, chopped
1L chicken stock
3/4 cup cream
salt and cracked black pepper

Method

  1. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add 1 coarsely chopped onion, 1 crushed garlic clove, 4 large chopped zucchini and 2 large peeled, chopped potatoes. Cook for 5 minutes, making sure vegetables don't brown.
  2. Add 1L chicken stock and 1 cup water. Bring soup to the boil, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until potatoes are soft. Remove from heat and cool for 5 minutes.
  3. Blend with a hand-held blender until smooth. Return soup to the heat and add 3/4 cup cream, salt and cracked black pepper. Serve warm.

9 comments:

Meldylocks and Her Three Bears said...

Zucchini made into soup? 1st time I'm seeing this...But from the look of it, it should be yummy! Boy, I think your kids are very lucky coz you make healthy stuff for them everyday!

MaryMoh said...

Looks delicious and healthy...simple to make too. I love it.

Edith said...

mmmm... wondering how this taste like.

Blessed Homemaker said...

Meldylocks,
I try to cook wholesome food but unfortunately kids don't quite appreciate it *eyes rolling*

MaryMoh,
Try it and let me know how it turn out for you.

Blessed Homemaker said...

Edith,
I can't quite describe this, it's a fairly rich and creamy zucchini soup.

Reira said...

This looks yummy! What cream is used for the soup? Can it be found near where whipping cream is in the supermarket?

Blessed Homemaker said...

I used dairy whipping cream. You can use any cooking cream.

Reira said...

Hi,

Thanks! So sorry, didnt know that those are the cream used. I only know it can be used as whipping cream haha

Anonymous said...

This is good! I didn't add more stock though as we like it thick and creamy. I made this over the weekend and my hubby loves it! Viv