I love Chinese Yam (淮山 huai shan /山药 shan yao) and is actively looking for new soup recipes to try out. After I found this recipe by Food 4 Tots, I've been cooking this fairly often as my kids love this soup very much.
The chinese yam sold in the supermarket nearby weigh 500g and above. I do not want to use half of it and keep the balance so I always throw in the whole lot into the pot.
PS: I hate taking soup pictures as they are always so boring.
Chinese Yam Chicken Soup (淮山鸡汤)
500g chicken meat/bones500g fresh huai shan(淮山 huai shan /山药 shan yao), peeled and cut into chunks
2 - 3 large carrots
100g yu zhu (玉竹）
2 tbsp gou zi （枸子)
20 - 30 red dates (I added in these dates to increase the sweetness of the soup)
1.5 - 2 litres water
2 tbsp rice wine (sometimes I use homemade ginger wine 姜酒)
Salt to taste
- Remove skin of carrots and cut into smaller pieces.
- Rinse red dates and yu zhu, soak in water for 5 - 10 mins or till soft.
- Blanch chicken meat/bones.
- Bring water to boil and add all ingredients (except wolfberries) in a pot. Using medium fire, bring water to boil again and cook for 10 - 15 minutes, reduce to small flame and simmer for 2 hours.
- Add in the wolfberries and let it brew in low fire for another 5 - 10 mins.
- Add salt and rice/ginger wine to taste before serving.